Saturday, August 17, 2013

Begin As You Mean to Continue


I recently came across the term, "Begin as you mean to continue". I have never heard it said stated that way before. I have only just noticed how true this is with my tai chi (I must be a slow learner).

Some days, I am in a hurry. I am careless about how I start my tai chi forms. It becomes very difficult to change my intention when I am moving through my forms. Therefore, I am still careless when I finish my forms. That means that I wasted an opportunity to learn.

Some days, I take time to focus my mind. When I start, I pay attention to one principle. I practice all my forms slowly and mindfully. When I finish my forms, I am still moving slowly and mindfully. I gave my mind and body an opportunity to learn.

It seems too simple, but it's true. Your intention determines the results of your practice. Try it and see what happens.

© 2013 Eric Borreson

No comments:

Post a Comment