Friday, May 31, 2013

Mindful Tai Chi


I was doing my forms today and I realized that my mind had wandered and I had completely lost track of where I was. I had no idea which form was next. I had to stop and start over at the last form I remembered doing.

After I finished, I sat down and thought about what had happened. All I could figure was that my mind had wandered so far away that I completely lost track of what I was doing. I have no idea where my mind wandered, but it traveled pretty far. My meditation teacher always talks about learning how to be fully present, to be aware of what is happening right now. Obviously I wasn't present in what I was doing.

Think how funny it would have been if this had happened in front of a class. I would have laughed so hard that they would have thought that I had gone crazy.

This is one of the wonderful things about my tai chi practice. It helps develop the focus and intention that are so important to success, however we choose to define success.

Remember, tai chi is supposed to be fun. Tomorrow will be another day. I promise to try to be more present. I don't guarantee results, I only guarantee to try.

Note: I have written a more extensive article on this topic for a recent issue of Yang-Sheng magazine.

© 2013 Eric Borreson

No comments:

Post a Comment