Saturday, January 11, 2014

Blogging Update (I Need Help)


Now that we are beginning a new year, it's time to look back on how we got here. I have been blogging for about 3 1/2 years. My goal since the beginning has been to help people find ways to change their lives. I am happy to say that my reach is continuing to grow.

I am really interested in starting a dialogue with my readers about the direction you want this to go. I need some help developing my blog to make sure that I am delivering what people are looking for. I placed several questions at the end. Please comment below or contact me directly.

Blogging sites provide reports on the top articles and demographics on page visits. Here are some of the things I learned from the latest usage reports:

Top Articles
I have posted nearly 200 articles since I started writing. The top articles, ranked by pageviews, are:

Here are two articles from 2013 that didn't get many readers the first time around. I think they are worth a few minutes of your time.

Platforms
Readers use many different platforms, browsers, and operating systems to reach my blog. Most of that hasn't changed very much since the beginning. However, there has been a large change as the use of mobile devices, like smart phones and tablets, has increased in 2013.
Year                 Desktop          Mobile
2010                95%                 5%
2011                96%                 4%
2012                92%                 7%
2013                85%                 15%

The change has been really dramatic in 2013. A quarterly breakdown of the data shows that mobile usage has more than doubled from 9% of page views in the first quarter to 19% in the fourth quarter.
Year                 Desktop          Mobile
2013 (Q1)            91%                 9%
2013 (Q2)            86%                 14%
2013 (Q3)            82%                 18%
2013 (Q4)            81%                 19%

Pageviews
I started blogging regularly in July 2010. I have seen steady growth since then. My blog has served 73,736 pageviews (through the end of 2013).
Year     Pageviews
2010    618
2011    8310
2012    26,487
2013    38,321

Visitors
I have had visitors come from 135 nations. I am so happy to be able to share this with so many people all around the world. The most common nations of the visitors are:
US              56.1%
UK             10.5%
Canada       5.8%
Australia     3.2%
Singapore    2.2%
All others    22.2%

About 85% of the visitors found my site through a Google search. I am continually learning about how Google search works. For about 3 years, I posted a new article about every week. Late in 2013, I ran out of time and energy for a while and started reusing articles. Google noticed. The number of people finding my blog through a Google search fell by almost half from September to December. Don't mess with Google.

About 5% of the visitors came through another search site, from an email update, a news feed, or a permanent link on someone's web page. The remaining 10% find my site through some kind of social media link.

Of that 10% that find my articles through social media, the top sources are:
Facebook     62%
LinkedIn      20%
Twitter         17%
Google+      2%

These numbers reflect the amount of time and effort I place into each. I spend more time on Facebook than the others so I get more visitors from there.

Help Me, Please
I am considering adding other social media sites, like Youtube, Tumblr, or Pinterest. I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with these. Please leave a comment or contact me directly. What kind of viewership do you get? Are they effective at reaching people? My time is limited. Where are the best places to find readers?

Do you have any ideas on whether I should make changes to my blog based on the increase in mobile readship? How can I make the content or presentation different?

I have seen other blogs that place a Paypal link and ask for donations. What do you think about this practice? Would you be offended if I asked for donations to support my training expenses? Is this effective? Do you have any ideas on this topic?

If you are interested in submitting an article for for publication on this blog, please let me know. We can discuss content and my editorial policy. Contact me at eborresongen@hotmail.com.

Looking forward to another great year in 2014. A big thank you to all the people that read my blog and especially to those that comment on the blog or provide other feedback.

© 2014 Eric Borreson

No comments:

Post a Comment